The Dreeben School of Education at the University of the Incarnate Word, located in San Antonio, Texas, invites applications for an Assistant/Associate Professor (tenure-track) position in Teacher Education to begin in August 2018. The position involves teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, supervising students in field-based placements and clinical teaching, engaging in scholarly research, collaborating with public and/or private school partnerships, and providing services to the University and larger community.
Essential FunctionsPrimary teaching responsibilities include literacy courses and other education courses as needed by the program. Developing and maintaining an active scholarship agenda is required. Additional duties include advising undergraduate students and supervision of field experiences. Faculty members are expected to collaborate with other departmental faculty and to engage in service to the university and the community. Additionally, faculty are expected to work to support the Mission of the University across teaching, scholarship, and service. Official duties and responsibilities of faculty members at the University include teaching, scholarship, service, and professional activities. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the UIW Mission.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness and scholarship
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Ability to advise and mentor students
- Ability to collaborate with faculty and colleagues
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, The Conference, and the NCAA
Required EducationA doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction or related field with a minimum of 18 hours graduate coursework (at master’s and/or doctoral level) in reading/literacy. ABD will be considered with confirmed conferral of degree by May 2018.
Required Work Experience
- A minimum of three years public school teaching experience
- Valid teaching certification
- Evidence of scholarly research commensurate with experience level
- Evidence of integrating instructional technology
- Evidence of establishing positive working relationships with colleagues and school personnel
- Evidence of establishing school and community organization partnerships
- Interest and experience in working with people of diverse backgrounds
Preferred QualificationsCertified Reading Specialist/Master Reading Teacher
Texas teaching certification
Required Certifications, Licenses or RegistrationsTeaching Certification
Posting Number: UN256PO
Open Until Filled: Yes
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sex, gender, age, or religion (except in limited circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed appropriate as a matter of University policy).