Vision to prepare educators, leaders, and counselors as agents of social change who transform the lives of individuals and communities they serve.
Mission to immerse our students in authentic academic and professional settings, providing them with opportunities to bridge theory and practice and to engage in critical reflection that informs action.
Core Values Authentic Learning, Reflective Practice, Diversity, Social Justice, Excellence/Quality, and Transformation) and embrace our vision, mission and core values.
The School of Education is comprised of five academic departments including Educational Leadership, Teacher Education, Special Education, Curriculum and Instruction, and Counseling. The Department of Special Education offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees with concentrations in the areas of Special Education, Gifted Education, and Special Education/Elementary Education. Applicants are invited to apply for a nine-month, open rank faculty position with a contract starting August, 2018. Specific teaching responsibilities will be commensurate with candidate’s qualifications, but may focus on the individual’s specialization area(s). The successful candidate may teach day, evening, weekend and online courses.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The person selected for this position will teach special education courses (undergraduate/graduate) with strong field experience components, supervise student teachers, advise students, assist with recruitment and retention initiatives, engage in scholarly activity, collaborate with PK-12 and university faculty and provide service to the community.
- Doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D) in the area of Special Education, closely related area, or equivalent.
- Two or more years of teaching experience teaching at the college/university level in the area of Special Education or related area.
- Hold a valid K-12 teaching license in NM or in a state with licensure reciprocity.
- Experience with supervision of teacher candidates.
- Two or more years of K-12 teaching experience.
- Evidence of scholarly activity.
- Expertise in one of the following areas: Emotional Disturbance; Autism; Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA); Gifted Education, Special Education Math Methods, or Special Education Reading Methods.
- Experience teaching statistics or research methods
- Expertise with outcomes assessment and CAEP accreditation.
- Experience designing and teaching asynchronous online courses.
- NMTEACH certification
- Knowledge/experience with adult teaching and learning theory/principles.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency teaching and communicating with colleagues and students via electronic and digital modalities.
- Proficiency in the integration of technology to support teaching and learning.
- Proficiency in Desire to Learn or other Learning Management System.
- Proficiency with student advisement/information systems (e.g. Degree Audit and Banner)
Posting Type: Competitive