The Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education (CISE) at the University of Southern Mississippi invites applications for a nine-month tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Mathematics Education beginning August 2018. The department offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs to a diverse student body.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include teaching face-to-face and online undergraduate and graduate courses; developing and maintaining a strong program of research; advising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students; and engaging in professional and university service activities.
1. Earned doctoral degree in elementary education, math education or closely related field (ABD candidates may apply, but must complete doctorate no later than July 2018.
2. Experience teaching students in a P-12 setting.
3. Evidence of scholarly productivity or potential commensurate with the rank of Assistant Professor.
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the requirements listed above and one or more of the following:
1. Documented coursework in math education and/or math teaching experiences in a P-12 classroom.
2. Demonstrated ability to teach at the post-secondary/higher education level, including the effective use of online/distance education platforms.
Additional University/Departmental Information:
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, Southern Miss students have collected seven Goldwater Scholarships, three Truman Scholarships and 16 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in art, dance, music and theatre, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
Will vary depending upon teaching schedules and office hours.