NATIONAL UNIVERSITY (NU) is the second largest, private, nonprofit institution of higher education in California, founded in 1971. The Sanford College of Education is one of five schools and two colleges within the University. The Department of Special Education, one of three Departments within the Sanford College of Education, offers courses at the graduate level and several credential programs approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
The Sanford College of Education, Department of Special Education is seeking two individuals who aspire to be excellent university instructors, engage in research, possess collaborative skills, demonstrate strong technology skills and who bring experience in special education including teaching students with mild/moderate disabilities. The following is required of individuals selected to fill each of these positions:
- teach graduate level courses in Special Education in online and hybrid delivery formats;
- advise and mentor candidates from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- coordinate field experiences and supervision of interns and student teachers;
- participate in curriculum and instructional development;
- attend regularly scheduled university, college, department, regional and statewide meetings and symposia;
- assist in developing cohort groups within school communities;
- establish and maintain contacts with and provide support to schools within the local community;
- conduct research and scholarship in respective field;
- participate in service activities within the University, College, Department, and professional community;
- establish and maintain relationships with department Faculty, administrators, and staff in academic centers throughout California.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS – applicants MUST meet these qualifications:
- An earned doctorate or doctorate completed by date of hire, from a regionally accredited university in special education or related discipline;
- Experience in teaching in the field of Special Education, in United States, within the PK-12 educational system with an emphasis on working with students with mild to moderate disabilities;
- Possession of or eligibility to possess a credential/license/certificate in special education;
- Experience teaching at the college or university level and/or experience teaching adults;
- Ability to work across departments to support students in teacher education and special education.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS-the following qualifications of applicants are preferred:
- An exemplary record of teaching at the graduate level;
- An emerging or established agenda of scholarship/research (including presentations at state and national conferences);
- A record of collaboration with school districts and community partners;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a professional team;
- Experience designing, developing, and delivering courses online, hybrid or in person;
- Experience in course and/or program design;
- Experience in program assessment.
COMPENSATION AND WORK CONDITIONS:
Salary Range of Assistant Professors: Competitive
National University Faculty enjoy excellent working conditions in a highly collegial work environment within a university where shared governance is taken seriously. Professional advancement and stability have been historical foundations upon which NU Faculty have built their careers and academic programs. Review of Faculty careers within NU’s non-tenure environment historically show advancement through the ranks, multiple year contracts, merit salary increases, and generous professional development resources.
Application materials should be submitted electronically to the Sanford College of Education, care of Stephanie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials MUST include all of the following items:
- Letter of interest addressed to the SPED SEARCH COMMITTEE describing how research, teaching, and other professional qualifications meet required and desired qualifications expressed in this vacancy notice;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- 3 letters of professional recommendation; and
- A list of 3 additional references, including names, e-mails, and phone contact information.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.