The Education Department at Wagner College Invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor: Special Education to coordinate and be a liaison with curriculum coordinators, teaching leaders, and faculty in the primary and secondary schools, and to develop and further implement a shared commitment to excellent special education instruction across the College’s programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, teaching a variety of undergraduate and graduate Special
Education courses. Classes require knowledge of students with low and high incidence disabilities, strategies for classroom management, assistive technology, theories of learning, current special education research, reading instruction, remedial strategies for individuals with learning disabilities, and special education assessment. This position also includes advising students, making scholarly
contributions, and serving on campus committees.
Preferred candidates hold a Ph.D. or Ed.D. in the field of Special Education and BCBA Certification. A minimum of five years licensed classroom teaching and administrative experience of students with mild to moderate disabilities in a K -12 school setting is strongly preferred. Experience with autism and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) as well as RTI is strongly preferred. They should be proven leaders with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with teachers, students, parents, staff, and national and international educators. They must be able to advance the department’s mission, vision, and strategic plan; to support student learning and achievement through collaborative effort and research-based educational leadership, teaching, and learning; and support and advance special education in the context of international education.
Qualifications for the Position:
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Special Education or related field
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience in special education-based education/curriculum, instruction, program design, evaluation and assessment required as well as experience teaching in higher education
- Strong experience working in K-12 curriculum and instruction program design
- Strong instructional and program design experience
- Demonstrated ability to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Experience working with education in-service and professional development programs
- Experience with student academic advising and field supervision at the undergraduate and graduate level
Send a letter of application, c.v., transcripts, sample syllabi and 3 letters of recommendation to Dr. Jason Fitzgerald, Chair of the Education Department, Wagner College, Staten Island, NY 10301. Fax 718-420 4158; email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled.