Position will serve as an as a full-time, 9-month, tenured position, at the Associate or Full Professor rank, as well as, serve as Department Head for Educational Leadership with half-time teaching responsibilities. Position is responsible for developing a productive and collaborative atmosphere, mentoring faculty, developing an effective shared governance system, working effectively with the college dean and senior administration, building excellence in curriculum and coursework scheduling in collaboration with the department faculty, and initiating and sustaining an externally funded research program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works collaboratively with faculty to build a positive culture and effective structures, policies and communications channels.
- Serves as the chief advocate for advancing the mission of the college and the institution.
- Assesses departmental performance and determines critical requirements for program practices and documentation.
- Leads best practice expectations for recruitment and retention of students, faculty success, alumni relations, securing and managing extramural funding, and other scholarly and fundraising initiatives.
- Promote and mentor the professional development of faculty within the academic department. Encourages and supports attendance at professional conferences, grant writing, academic and research publications, professional consulting, mentoring, and community engagement. Mentor’s faculty to success in achieving tenure and advancing through ranks. Maintains professional development and ongoing success of season faculty.
- Performs annual evaluations of faculty and staff. Develop annual performance plans outlining what each faculty or staff member will accomplish in the coming year. Combine results of individual plans to produce an annual performance plan for the academic unit as a whole.
- Ensures that departmental course offerings optimize resources and are offered in a timely manner with adequate student input to ensure the smooth flow of student progress toward graduation.
- Exercises fiduciary responsibility on all departmental operating, special, and endowment accounts as well as fixed and consumable assets assigned to departmental programs. Monitors dedicated scholarships closely and ensures that awards are made in a timely fashion.
- Develops and improves departmental plan for curriculum development, review and revision. Utilizes course student assessments and input from faculty, program graduates, and external stakeholders / employers. Utilizes results from these assessments to identify and respond to areas of greater demand and to seek out new areas of strength.
- Oversee, in conjunction with program faculty and departmental staff, an effective and continuous student academic advising program for each academic program of study in the department. Monitors graduation rates, and ensures compliance with any relevant Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board requirements, particularly, where appropriate, state-mandated core curriculum learning goals. Collaborates with departmental faculty to mentor new graduate students and ensure that any graduate assistants employed by the department, including those supported by extramural funds, receive appropriate training and mentoring to enable them to perform their job assignments professionally.
- Serves as the primary liaison with the dean, graduate school, the registrar, and institutional effectiveness.
- Oversees the assessment processes used for regional accreditation.
- Keeps faculty informed of institutional issues in a timely and transparent fashion and manages departmental student issues; the graduation process; employment of adjunct faculty and GAs; departmental and program marketing, including the departmental website; student internships; alumni records; departmental fund-raising initiatives; ordering of equipment and/or supplies; facility renovations; and the completion of various required reports.
- Serves on selected departmental, college and university committees.
- Education: Ph.D. or EdD in Educational Administration or a closely related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Academic background commensurate with the rank of associate professor or higher. Proven records of K-12 administrative experience as well as College/University leadership experience, teaching and dissertation advising, and a commitment to shared governance and quality programs.
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and students, as well as people from culturally diverse backgrounds. Ability to work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends as needed. Ability to travel.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Valid Driver’s license.
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Leadership experience at the department head level. Extensive teaching and dissertation advising experience in Educational administration is preferred. Demonstrated experience with budgeting; program design and implementation; procuring external funding; and distance education, particularly online deliver of courses. Evidence of effective interaction with students, faculty, administration, and community and active participation in professional organizations (e.g., NCPEA, TCPEA, UCEA, TASA, TASB, AERA).
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT :
Applications received by Texas A&M University-Commerce must have all job application data entered. Failure to provide all job application data could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application. Resume/vitae, cover letter, at least 3 references and their full contact information, and transcripts if degree is required are to be uploaded.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.