Department Posting Name:
Interdisciplinary Learning & Teaching
Main Campus, Downtown Campus
This is a Tenure/Tenure Track Faculty, benefits eligible position
Hours per week:
If employee will be working a schedule other than Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm, specify hours and days to be worked:
Days and times vary upon teaching hours.
Beginning Salary Flexibility:
Do you want to allow additional experience to substitute for required education?:
Field of Study:
Required: Literacy Education or related field.
MS Office Experience Required:
Will this position require driving a UT or personally owned vehicle?:
Other Computer and Software Skills Required:
Experience and Other Skills Required:
Associate or Full Rank:
1. Earned doctorate with an emphasis in literacy or biliteracy or field related to literacy and biliteracy.
2. Evidence of a cohesive research agenda and publication record focused on bilteracy, commensurate with rank.
3. Expertise in Spanish-English biliteracy.
4. Experience with culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
5. Minimum of three years of full-time teaching (with teacher certification) in reading/language arts (or a related area) in elementary, middle school or secondary school settings.
6. Minimum of 18 graduate hours in literacy/biliteracy (Masters and/or Doctoral level).
7. Excellence in university teaching experience.
8. Collaboration with schools.
9. Evidence of successful leadership positions at department, college, or university, and professional organization. Applicants for associate level must meet University’s criteria for promotion and tenure at the associate level.
Do you want to allow additional education to substitute for required experience?:
Other Skills Preferred:
Associate / Full Rank:
1. Expertise in quantitative research methods.
2. Record of externally funded grants.
3. Expertise in early childhood or adolescent literacies, new literacies, disciplinary literacies, family literacies, or writing and writing instruction.
4. Experience chairing doctoral dissertations.
Description of Job Duties:
1. Teaching doctoral, masters, and undergraduate courses (offered at the UTSA Downtown Campus, the Main Campus, or public school campuses) in a range of modalities (in person, online, and hybrid);
2. Advising graduate students and supervising students in field placements/internships as needed.
3. Serving on masters and doctoral committees.
4. Conducting an active program of research informing the field of biliteracy.
5. Seeking external funding.
6. Contributing to national and international scholarship in the field.
7. Providing service to the department, college, university, community, and professional organizations.
8. We encourage applicants from a wide range of fields whose research examines the intersection of bilingualism and literacy education/research.
Posting Open Date:
Posting Close Date at midnight on:
Open Until Filled:
Special Notes To Applicants:
Note 1: Seeking applications for an open rank senior-level tenure track position (Associate or Full position with the Dr. Bertha Perez Endowed Professorship in Biliteracy).Note 2: Qualified applicants must submit:
1. An original, signed letter of Application that indicates the position level for which they are applying and addresses the required and preferred qualifications.
2. Copies of Transcripts
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. Sample of work: A 1-2 page description of research plans, and samples of academic writing.
Note 3: Committee review of completed applications will begin immediately and will continue until January 31, 2018. Applications must include all required components to be considered.
Note 4: All applicants must apply via the Streamlined Applicant Referral System (STARS; https://jobs.utsa.edu).
Note 5: UTSA is a tobacco-free campus.
Note 6: UTSA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note 7: Applicants who are selected for interviews must be able to show proof that they will be eligible and qualified to work in the United States by time or hire.
Note 8: This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
Note 9: Tenure is contingent on Board of Regents approval.