The Department Head will provide creative and dynamic leadership for the Curriculum & Instruction Department that includes the following programs: BSIS/BAIS in Interdisciplinary Studies (Undergraduate teacher certification with elementary, middle level, with secondary certification); Master’s programs in Curriculum & Instruction, Early Childhood Education, Reading, and Secondary Education; EdD in Supervision, Curriculum & Instruction. By working collaboratively with faculty, the department head will build and maintain a positive culture and effective structures, policies and communication channels to continually improve the department. The Department Head serves as the chief advocate for advancing the mission and goals of the Curriculum & Instruction Department. The department head will ensure program assessment and documentation of departmental performance and will be expected to lead by example to ensure recruitment and retention of students, faculty success, alumni relations, public school partnerships, and other scholarly initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop, revise, and oversee undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs in the department
- Teach courses in the department within the individual’s expertise
- Update course schedules and rotations
- Promote and oversee faculty development and conduct faculty evaluations
- Remain consistently active in research, scholarship, and /or professional activity
- Promote an academic climate within the department that is conducive to high quality teaching, intellectual inquiry, and productive service
- Contribute significant service activities
- Plan organize and lead effective department and committee meetings
- Monitor effective student academic advising
- Work closely with related departments and content area departments
- Supervise all departmental employees
- Lead and work collaboratively with faculty and staff to implement departmental programs
- Remain active in appropriate professional organizations
- Continually undertake professional development activities to stay current with research and best practices in teaching and administration
- Manage departmental budget
- Serve as a dynamic representative and advocate for the department in a variety of contexts
- Assist with and ensures recruitment and retention of a diverse student body
- Compile various departmental and university documents based on collected data and ensure compliance with university, system, and state requirements
- Education: PhD or EdD in one of the areas represented in the Department
- Experience/Knowledge/Skills: Sufficient experience to warrant a tenured appointment as Associate or Full Professor rank. Minimum of 3 years K-12 teaching experience. Significant evidence of academic administrative ability and effectiveness. Proven strength in oral and written communication skills. Experience in successfully managing budgets. Significant teaching experience and demonstrated commitment to maintaining high pedagogical standards. Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching online and face-face courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Expertise in the theory and practice of Curriculum & Instruction. Experience in successfully developing new programs.
Previous experience as Department Head/Chair. Acquired leadership training. Knowledge of the Texas public school education and teacher education systems. Experience in securing and managing external funding. Experience in successfully chairing doctoral dissertations.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT: Applications received by Texas A&M University-Commerce must have all job application data entered. Failure to provide all job application data could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application. Resume/vitae, cover letter, at least 3 references and their full contact information, and transcripts if degree is required are to be uploaded.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.