The department head has both faculty and administrative duties. Faculty duties include teaching, scholarship, and service. The department is administered by the department head. As an administrator, the department head is responsible for implementing university policies and procedures at the department level. The department head, who reports to the dean of the college, works in cooperation with the faculty to ensure quality in educational delivery and compliance with state and national accreditation standards. This is a full-time, twelve-month position.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities of the department head include the following:
- providing key leadership in the hiring process,
- leading the department in promotion and tenure decisions
- leading program assessment and curriculum development within the department
- overseeing the administration of course scheduling, student recruitment, budgeting, and advising
- supervising department staff and faculty
- leading college diversity initiatives
- representing the department within the university and the community
- working collegially with faculty, academic program directors, and other administrators
- encourage a creative and engaging environment for students, faculty, and staff
- engage in scholarly and teaching activities
- encourage and facilitate shared governance
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
Knowledge level includes an earned doctorate in related field of educational leadership, curriculum and/or counseling, experience as a school leader, and has accreditation experience. Skills should include experience as a school leader. Abilities include creative, energetic, calm and decisive.
The department head must demonstrate precision and organization to perform all necessary position responsibilities and duties, and must have the ability to manage and work with a diverse group of staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Knowledge – understanding of academic department personnel and culture
- Skills – organization, diplomacy, leadership, team-building, writing, oral communication
- Abilities – collegial, calm, creative, decisive
- Earned doctorate and professional accomplishments appropriate for faculty appointment at the rank of associate professor/professor in one of the academic disciplines in the department
- Proven record of effective teaching, scholarship, and service, or superintendent level leadership experience, and/or adjunct experience.
- Teaching emphasis should be compatible with current department curriculum and scheduling needs
- Collaborative management style that fosters trust, respect, and successful working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators
- Demonstrated skills in communication, both written and oral
- Demonstrated leadership skills in building collaborative relationships
- Dissertation experience
- Commitment to the development of innovative teaching and instructional technologies.
- Ability to envision new opportunities for the department.
- Evidence of curriculum development, student recruitment, assessment, grant writing, supervision, fund-raising, and/or budgeting
- Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse groups and populations;
- Commitment to solve problems, address conflicts in a constructive manner, and resolve complex personnel issues
- Demonstration of emotional intelligence and integrity in leadership roles
What to Submit:
Cover Letter, curriculum vita, five (5) references with contact information.
To be considered for the Department Head for Center for Leadership and Learning position, all applications must be received and processed through our applicant tracking system Cornerstone. Please go to https://atu.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=1&c=atu to apply now.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Arkansas Tech University is an AA/EOE employer committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment