What to expect as a Walden faculty member:
Faculty members educate Walden University students by effectively and proficiently using online technology and resources so that knowledge, information, feedback, and critique are imparted to and shared with students in thoughtful, carefully formulated, well written, and timely communications. This is accomplished in an environment that is respectful of student, the Faculty Member, Walden University, and the discipline in which the Faculty Member is involved. Faculty Members are expected to adhere to all Walden University Faculty expectations, which are clearly set forth to the Faculty Member at the start of his/her employment with the University.
All new Faculty Members receive specific training from Walden University in the techniques of teaching, use of an electronic learning platform, specifics of the policies, procedures and degree programs of the School or College in which they are going to teach, socialization into the Walden University culture, assessment of academic integrity of student work (including use of www.turnitin.com), and research supervision of theses and dissertations.
Faculty Members are assigned courses, which are taught using the Blackboard platform, and are responsible for interacting with students within this platform. Discussion Boards for classrooms are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Although postings to the classroom may be done at any time of day, they must be completed in a timely manner in accordance with the Faculty Handbook or other criteria established by Walden University. As such, Faculty Members are expected to be in the classroom a minimum of 4 days per week and responses to student questions must be posted within 48 hours. Faculty Members are required to verify the accuracy of student postings and submissions and to provide feedback and grades to students through Blackboard. In addition, Faculty members will publish their availability to students through course syllabi. The university suggests regular and predictable availability, such as online office hours or regular online chats.
Faculty members are required to have an adequate computer to handle an electronic learning platform, keyboard, pointing device, and computer monitor. All other tools are knowledge-based or training-based through Walden University. The Faculty Member must be able to use Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint), zip software, and Adobe Acrobat and must have reliable Internet access as well as alternate access in cases where primary access becomes unavailable.
Faculty Members must be appropriately credentialed, possess an earned degree from an accredited institution or recognized by a country’s ministry of education in the discipline being taught, and may be expected to be licensed or license-eligible in order to teach in specific programs. Faculty Members must maintain their licenses and any appropriate certifications in order to continue to teach at Walden University. Faculty Members are also expected to maintain currency with research by reviewing articles, journals, and presentations. If participating in research, the Faculty Member may publish and acknowledge Walden University.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Earned doctorate in the field of study of Elementary Reading and Literacy or a related field with current elementary teaching license/certifications with reading or literacy endorsement. Candidates should possess a significant record of intellectual and professional contributions to the field of study
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience at the degree level of the program is preferred and experience teaching elementary reading
- Commitment to advocating for the learning and development needs of students earning their degrees in a distance learning environment
- Teaching, advising and mentoring; commitment to the promotion of applied research and the recruitment and development of a diverse faculty; excellent leadership, communication, team, and human relations skills.
- Experience with distance learning preferred.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.