TSTC is the only state-supported technical college system in Texas. TSTC’s statewide role and mission is to efficiently and effectively help Texas meet the high-tech challenges of today’s global economy, in partnership with business and industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions. If this is a mission you could support and help TSTC achieve, please complete our application process.
TSTC Marshall is currently seeking a Foundations Reading and Writing Instructor. The responsibilities of this position consist of teaching Developmental Reading and Writing Courses to students in the technical college setting. Team-teaching will be involved. This position holds accountability for instruction, student assessment, and evaluation of a diverse student population. Teaching responsibilities may be required in a combination of traditional, distance, and hybrid formats. This position reports to the Lead Instructor of Foundations. If this position sounds challenging and you enjoy helping students reach their true potential, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and updates course syllabi.
- This position is principally charged with presenting prepared course curriculum, supervising any one-on-one lab/tutoring needs, recording student progress, maintaining regular daily contact via face-to-face, virtual learning, on-line, IM (instant messaging), texting with students. Typical duties and responsibilities that this instructor position is responsible for, but not limited to, are as follows:
- Organize and present course curriculum according to scheduled times & places, in accordance with TSTC policy, accrediting board standards and THECB (Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board).
- Maintain daily communications with classes and timely response to individual student & colleague needs to assure efficient and effective instruction for student success.
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance, student progress, and course syllabus information.
- Maintain discipline and order during instructional activities.
- Observes and assesses student learning competencies providing timely feedback to students.
- Schedules office hours for assisting students on a regular basis.
- Maintain and reports appropriate classroom records, including posting students’ grades and attendance in Moodle.
- Certifies Class Rosters and “Show/No-Show” Reports in a timely manner according to due dates provided by the institution.
- Communicates student assessment results to department faculty and administrators when necessary.
- Participates in professional development opportunities, particularly to maintain current professional expertise in related subjects in accordance with certification requirements.
- Attends, facilitates, and/or leads staff meetings and in-service programs within the department and college-wide.
- Assists in the development and implementation of departmental objectives, policies, procedures and standards; recommends changes to departmental procedures as necessary to improve the efficacy of the Department.
- Supports and serves as a role model for our mission, vision, values, and customer service initiatives. Adheres to the organization’s policies & procedures, and compliance guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge Developmental Education concepts.
- Ability to translate educational and professional experience into the student learning environment.
- Ability to provide positive motivation and encourage student participation.
- Ability to keep up with new trends and developments in classroom technology.
- Effective planning, organizational, and communication skills.
- Written and computer skills needed to prepare course materials.
- Analytical skills to evaluate and report student learning outcomes.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to teaching assignment, and:
- have either teaching experience in a discipline related to teaching assignment, or
- graduate training in developmental education.
- Minimum of two (2) years of previous teaching experience at the secondary or college level preferred.
Security Sensitive Position
**Please remember to upload a copy of your transcript along with your resume and cover letter