Kentucky Wesleyan College, a private four-year, Liberal Arts College located in Owensboro, is seeking a dynamic and talented Visiting Assistant Professor of Teacher Education (with an emphasis in middle grades education) for AY 2017-2018. This position has the potential to become a tenure-track position after the initial year.
Kentucky Wesleyan currently serves approximately 700 students and provides a challenging and supportive academic experience that produces highly qualified graduates who become successful professionals in their careers and valuable members of their communities.
Prospective candidates should have a Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Teacher Education with an emphasis in middle grades education. A commitment to both teaching and scholarship is essential. The successful candidate will teach an array of courses related to middle grades education and/or common foundations of education courses including but not limited to courses in: Foundations of Education, Philosophy and Organization of Middle Schools, Methods and Materials courses, and Subject Area Methods and Materials courses. The successful candidate will establish and maintain a program of professional/scholarly work in collaboration with undergraduates. The teaching load is eight courses (24 credit hours) per year. Additional responsibilities include advising students and service both within and outside the college community. The anticipated starting date is August 15, 2017.
- Coordinate course offerings and classroom observation experiences with local school districts to ensure that Teacher Education majors are able to fulfill all academic requirements related to teacher education.
- Teach a variety of courses related to middle grades education and/or common foundations of education courses including but not limited to courses in: Foundations of Education, Philosophy and Organization of Middle Schools, Methods and Materials courses, and Subject Area Methods and Materials courses.
- Advise students in middle grades education and P-12 education major tracks.
- Engage in service learning activities, leadership, and professional development.
- Work with students on PRAXIS tests.
- Work on national and state accreditation materials.
- Supervise student teachers.
- Represent the teacher education program at recruiting events.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Teacher Education with an emphasis in middle grades education (ABDs will be considered).
- Teaching expertise required in educational fields. Preferences will be given to candidates with experience in areas of educational foundations and middle grades education as well as classroom instructional methods subjects including but not limited to literacy, language arts, mathematics, science, and/or social studies.
- A commitment to undergraduate teaching.
- An enthusiastic and dynamic personality.
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse community including the local school districts.
- Drive and desire to develop a strong, high-quality program in Middle Grades education that will expose students to a variety of educational opportunities.
Additional information about Kentucky Wesleyan and the Owensboro community may be found at
To apply, please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, transcripts, and contact information for references to Cindy Sublett in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Kentucky Wesleyan College is an equal opportunity employer.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Leah Hoover, co-chair of the Professional Studies Division, at email@example.com.