Position Number: 38478
The College of Community Innovation and Education (CCIE) at the University of Central Florida (UCF) seeks a dynamic scholar in Urban Education interested in generating innovative and impactful contributions across programs and departments. The Urban Education faculty member will develop and deliver academically rigorous courses, purposeful scholarship and funded research, and community-engaged service within CCIE and the university given the ever-increasing contextual focus on urban issues.
The Urban Education faculty member will help CCIE to combine theory and research with practice-based, culturally-relevant, and community-engaged initiatives. The Urban Education faculty member may work at the doctoral level with colleagues from across CCIE in the interdisciplinary Ph.D. Program in Public Affairs and/or the Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. The Urban Education faculty position is poised to produce positive impacts for the lives and livelihoods of people in the Orlando community and regions across the state, the country, and the world.
As one of the nation’s largest universities with a Carnegie classification of Research University-Very High, CCIE is designed to leverage its size and varied academic disciplines to engage in transdisciplinary work. To that end, the successful applicant for the Urban Education position will likely have an academic background in teacher education, educational leadership, educational policy, higher education, multicultural education, or urban studies with experience in teaching. Other discipline areas of specialty may be appropriate, as well.
The Urban Education faculty position is a 9-month, tenure-earning assistant professor or tenured associate professor appointment with benefits. In order to obtain tenure upon hire, the selected candidate must have a demonstrated record of research, teaching, and service commensurate with rank. The position is anticipated to begin in August 2019.
UCF is a major metropolitan research university, providing the academic core for Central Florida. The multi-campus university enrolls over 66,000 students and is the fastest growing university in Florida. The main campus is located in northeastern Orlando, a growing diverse community of nearly 2 million people. Regional campuses are located in Seminole, Volusia, Osceola, Brevard, and Lake Counties, with many additional sites in the Central Florida region. UCF provides academic leadership for the Central Florida region through strategic partnerships with public and private sector organizations and corporations. It also has met all of the criteria for the Carnegie classification of RU/VH: Research Universities (very high research activity), and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The College of Community Innovation and Education employs approximately 210 full-time faculty members serving about 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students across more than 35 academic disciplines.
Position Minimum QualificationsThe following are required for an applicant’s consideration:
- earned doctorate from an accredited institution in an area that supports the goals of the faculty position;
- demonstrated experience working within an urban community and/or with members of the community;
- demonstrated focus of scholarship that considers the experiences of urban students, families, and the cultural context in which they live;
- demonstrated experience in assuming a leading role among a community stakeholder group or diverse groups;
- demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues across academic disciplines; and
- demonstrated capacity for receiving and maintaining external funding or trajectory of research that predicts external funding.
In order to be hired as a tenured associate professor upon hire, the selected candidate must have a demonstrated record of research, teaching, and service commensurate with rank.
PreferencesThe following are preferred experiences that will contribute to a candidate’s consideration:
- demonstrated engagement with public discourse or critical debate involving policy-makers, community leaders, and/or educational advocates;
- demonstrated active participation with social and/or news media outlets (i.e., editorial opinions, creative works, public scholarship, policy briefs);
- demonstrated productivity with public scholarship, curriculum (re)design, innovative and impactful practices, and collaborative endeavors toward expanding traditions of research, teaching, and service within higher education; and
- demonstrated experience with the development of and/or participation with mutually-beneficial partnerships between higher education and organizations in the public and private sectors.
Equal Employment Opportunity EmployerAs an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF‘s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf. As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
Additional Application Materials RequiredThe university requires that applicants apply and submit all supporting documents through the UCF Online Recruitment System at https://www.jobswithucf.com. No paper applications will be considered. In addition to the online Faculty Applicant Affirmation form, applicants must submit a letter of intent, curriculum vitae, names and contact information for three references relevant to the position, and copy of graduate transcripts. The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts.
NOTE: Please have all documents ready when applying to attach at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents at a later date.
Questions regarding this search may be directed to: Dr. RoSusan Bartee, search committee chair, Department of Educational Leadership and Higher Education, at email@example.com.