Position SummaryApplications are invited to apply for a tenure- track position in the Eriksson College of Education for the Department of Teaching and Learning -Curriculum and Instruction (Generalist). This is position to begin August 1, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
The Eriksson College of Education at Austin Peay State University provides teacher training in an environment that provides opportunities for students and faculty to work and learn together. Class sizes provide opportunities for students and faculty to establish relationships that will last throughout a student’s academic and professional career. Teaching and advising are valued skills and weighed equally with research in the evaluation process.
There is the possibility of summer employment.
The College of Education offers the B.A., MAT, M.A.Ed., Ed.S., and Ed.D. Degrees, as well as post-baccalaureate initial licensure programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues while supporting the mission of the College and University;
- Advise teacher candidates who are seeking a professional teaching license;
- Conduct research and write grants to support student success, the mission of the College and University;
- Teach introductory undergraduate and graduate courses specific to foundations of education, instructional planning, effective teaching strategies, backward design, and explicit direct instruction and/or other courses related to pre-service teacher education as assigned by Department Chair and/or Dean.
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and growth;
- Serve on assigned committees at the department, college, and university levels;
- Exhibit motivation to serve the profession by active involvement in professional organizations;
- Seek opportunities for active involvement in area public and private schools by supporting school partnerships;
- Seek opportunities for involvement in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effective academic performance including teaching and advising.
- Effective scholarly and creative activity
- Effective service to the Department, College, University, and the Community.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- An earned doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction or related area with experience specific to curriculum, planning, and instructional strategies;
- Candidates who are currently ABD will be considered if all degree requirements are completed by date of hire, August, 1, 2020;
- A minimum of three (3) years K – 12 teaching experience is required and/or university experience with curriculum, planning, and effective instructional practices;
- Familiarity with CAEP standards preferred;
- Possess evidence of excellence in teaching, potential for scholarly research, achievement in professional endeavors, interpersonal skills, ability to incorporate diverse perspectives, and ability to relate to local constituencies;
- Evidence of effect work with public or private schools;
- Candidates with experience teaching and/or conducting research on issues applicable to diverse populations are preferred;
- Successful experience in the public and/or private school settings and/or university experiences with undergraduate and/or graduate teacher candidates;
- A background search will be required of the successful applicant.