The University of Tennessee at Martin is a primary campus in the University of Tennessee system. The campus is located in Northwest Tennessee approximately 125 miles north of Memphis and 150 miles west of Nashville. The University of Tennessee at Martin has a combined graduate and undergraduate enrollment of approximately 8,100 students. The emphasis is solidly on excellence in undergraduate instruction. Additional information about the Department of Educational Studies can be found at http://www.utm.edu/departments/educate.
The Department of Educational Studies has as its primary mission the preparation of P-12 classroom teachers, administrators, and counseling personnel for the public schools in Tennessee, as well as the nation. Some options exist for students desiring to obtain the skills and strategies of the education professional for use in nonpublic school situations. The Department of Educational Studies offers graduate and undergraduate degrees, as well as licensure programs in a variety of educational and counseling fields. Programs are designed to prepare classroom teachers who exhibit understanding and proficiency with the following characteristics: communications; reflection/relevance and purpose; collaboration; technology; higher order thinking skills; assessment; diversity; professionalism; and pedagogy skills.
All teacher preparation programs in the Department of Educational Studies are approved by the Tennessee State Board of Education and accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
Duties of the Position
The Department of Educational Studies at the University of Tennessee at Martin seeks candidates for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position. Duties for the position include teaching a 12-hour semester load of face-to-face or online courses in P-12 education. Additional responsibilities may include academic advising, mentoring student research, supervision and observation of practicums and field work, community outreach, service to the department, university and annual scholarship, and professional service. Knowledge and expertise in edTPA and COMP preferred. Prior administrative leadership experience in an educational institution P-16 preferred. Experience supervising teacher candidates in the field (Student Teaching) and teaching at the college or university level preferred.
Job Description and Professional Qualifications:
- Assistant Professor of Educational Studies in Curriculum and Instruction – Elementary, Middle, or Secondary – Full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position for graduate and undergraduate teaching in the area of Curriculum & Instruction.
- Expertise/emphasis in Elementary, Middle, or Secondary Education (18 hrs. of graduate coursework required).
- Doctoral defense prior to assuming tenure track position required.
- Must have completed a minimum of three years successful teaching in the U.S. in K-12.
- Candidates should be willing to utilize technology in teaching as well as demonstrate its use in public schools and have a willingness to work with diverse populations in public school contexts.
- Responsibility may include teaching courses in elementary and/or secondary/middle grades school content area methods (science, math or ESL/TESOL preferred), educational psychology, assessment, classroom management and general methods, plus supervising student teachers.
- Position includes advising, research and committee participation within the department, college, university and community.
Qualified applicants will need to apply online at http://www.utm.edu/departments/personnel/employment.php. Submit a letter of interest, curriculum vita, three letters of reference and all unofficial transcripts to the online application. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Inquiries should be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED), 303 Administration Building, Martin TN 38238, (731) 881-3505 Office, (731) 881-4889 TTY, Hearing Impaired, (731) 881-3507 Fax, email@example.com, http://www.utm.edu/departments/equalopp/.