Assistant/Associate Professor in Literacy Education
The Spadoni College of Education at Coastal Carolina University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor of Literacy Education beginning August 2019.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- A conferred doctorate in literacy education, curriculum and instruction with a focus in literacy, or closely related field (ABD may be considered);
- A background in early literacy (PK-3);
- Experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate level literacy education courses;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- A potential for or record of excellence in university teaching, research, and service; and
- A minimum of three years successful teaching experience in a United States public school serving grades prekindergarten through fifth grade.
Desired qualifications for this position include:
- Collaboration with faculty and students in a literacy center;
- Experience in developing and delivering both synchronous and asynchronous distance education courses as well as face to face classes;
- Experience conducting research in a literacy clinic or center;
- Experience as a literacy or reading coach;
- Record of consistent scholarly productivity through peer-reviewed publications and presentations;
- Experience with program planning and accreditation responsibilities;
- Potential for leadership in program planning or in professional organizations; and
- Success with funded grants and projects
The duties include teaching, research, and service. Specific responsibilities will include: teaching undergraduate and graduate courses related to literacy education; engaging in scholarly activity; working with the Chanticleer Literacy Center; engaging in service to the program, department, college, university, and profession; collaborating with colleagues in the program, department, university, and PreK-12 schools; supervising students in field-based experiences; and advising and recruiting graduate students.
Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located just nine miles from the Atlantic coast resort of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Coastal enrolls more than 10,000 students from 45 states and 58 nations. The University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and/or regional significance in the arts and sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and a Ph.D. degree in Marine Science.
Applicants should submit (a) a letter of application that includes qualifications for the position (b) curriculum vita; (c) unofficial copy of graduate transcripts; and (d) contact information (including email addresses) for three current references familiar with the candidate’s experiences and background. All applications should be submitted electronically at http://jobs.coastal.edu with all required application documents. Review of complete applications will continue until the position is filled. For additional information, contact Dr. Jennifer L. Altieri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coastal Carolina University is building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and minority candidates. CCU is an EO/AA employer.