The Chair is responsible for working with the Curriculum, Instruction, and Culture department faculty in the College of Education to develop and grow the department; provide effective leadership, develop and mentor faculty and staff; create and support a high-quality academic culture that emphasizes collegiality, engagement entrepreneurship and innovation; manage all academic, operational, and fiscal aspects of the department, and engage with the educational community and alumni.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
- Earned Doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) from a nationally accredited university program in Curriculum & Instruction, TESOL, Child & Youth Studies, Early Care and Early Childhood Education or related field of study.
- At least 7 years of university-level teaching, peer reviewed research, and service history sufficient to warrant appointment at the rank of Associate/Full Professor at FGCU.
- Administrative experience supervising, evaluating, and supporting both full-time and adjunct faculty at an academic department level in a university setting.
- Experience with national accreditation and/or knowledge of accreditation standards.
- Experience in a faculty union environment.
- Experience with CAEP accreditation and/or knowledge of CAEP accreditation standards.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to
- form relationships with school districts and community-based educational organizations to foster mutually-beneficial partnerships.
- mentor junior faculty and students in scholarly endeavors and in developing curriculum and courses.
- manage administrative and leadership responsibilities.
Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching.
Experience in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning.
Must have demonstrated and continued scholarship and service to the college and university.