Under the supervision of the Dean of the School of Education, this position is responsible for aspects enrollment management and academic affairs related to graduate programs. The Director is responsible for the hiring, oversight, and on-going communication with faculty and staff; management of academic curriculum and policies; management of student services and concerns; and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. This position also assists the Dean and Assistant Dean to recruit prospective students, interviews and advises applicants, and participates in various recruitment related activities and projects for graduate education programs. The Director of Graduate Education programs has a teaching load of 6 credits per semester.
This position is responsible to cultivate and maintain the institution’s Catholic identity and its mission to empower graduates to transform society. As a member of the Newman University community, the assistant dean will join with the institution’s sponsors, the Adorers of the Blood of Christ (ASC Sisters), to witness God’s love in Mission to empower others, foster oneness, celebrate life, form right relationships, and walk as compassionate companions. The chair is responsible to uphold this mission in accordance with Ex Corde Ecclesiae, fostering an environment where Catholicism is present while encouraging an impartial search for truth across multiple disciplines engaged in interdisciplinary dialogue.
- Facilitate recruitment of faculty and students for graduate education programs
- Hire and evaluate part time graduate faculty and collaborate with the supervising dean on hiring, evaluation, and continued employment of full-time faculty
- Provide on-going oversight and communication with all faculty and academic advising staff that includes periodic, scheduled meetings throughout the academic year
- Manage the student learning outcomes assessment process for graduate education programs including submission of assessment reports and results
- Contribute to curriculum development, review, and revision to ensure it meets the needs of nontraditional outreach students
- Collaborate with academic departments on interdisciplinary programs or other projects that enhance student learning
- Manage the process for effective curriculum delivery on-site, on-line, and in a blended format for graduate education programs
- Manage the strategic development of course schedules, assign faculty, and submit paperwork through appropriate administrative systems
- Manage disputes between students and faculty/staff, including issues such as academic integrity or grade appeals
- Anticipate and respond to the division’s markets (employers and students) in the development and management of curriculum
- Interpret policy and adjudicate appeals and exceptions
- Work with staff to prepare reports as required by accrediting or regulatory bodies or others
- Ensure all divisional or university accreditation standards are met
- Plan and administer the budget, manages revenues, and controls expenses
- Assess physical facilities of the including equipment, supplies, and space. Reports maintenance or service required when necessary.
- Participate in governance activities
- Oversee appropriate implementation of university, school, and division policies
- Respond to inquiries from stakeholders as appropriate
- Correspond and meet with prospective students in order to provide information about academic programs as well as explain admission requirements, policies and procedures
- Assist applicants to ensure completion of required admission documentation.
- Review admission applications and determine decision action depending on the academic program and program delivery method
- Effectively understand university academic programs, policies and procedures
- Recruit actively throughout the year, in tandem with the guidance and direction of the Dean and Assistant Dean.
- Implement communication and action plans to most effectively recruit for the assigned recruiting populations
- Plan and work collaboratively with admissions staff as well as other areas with the goal of maximizing the overall effectiveness of recruiting students
- Monitor, understand and analyze recruitment-related data, reports and other quantitative information to identify progress and potential areas of focus or improvement at each stage of the admissions funnel from inquiry through enrollment
- Contribute to enrollment goals through the execution of recruiting initiatives
- Serve on university committees and working groups as needed
- Teach graduate courses appropriate to the academic qualifications and departmental affiliation(s).
- Full-time faculty status and at least the rank of associate professor at the time of appointment. He/she need not be tenured or tenure-track in order to hold this appointment.
- An earned terminal degree in a relevant field
- Evidence of excellence in university teaching, scholarship, service, and/or administration
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Evidence of successful decision making in a collaborative environment
- Evidence of working with nontraditional learners
- Collaborates effectively with internal and external constituencies
- Legally authorized to work in the United States of America
- Hold and maintain a valid US driver’s license
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Exercise sound judgment in making decisions
- Lead effectively
- Develop objectives, evaluates effectiveness, and assesses needs
- Manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget
- Establish and maintains a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students, and the general public
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and coworkers
- Familiarity with applicable programmatic accreditors and/or the Higher Learning Commission
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of diversity in the evaluation of student learning and development, partnerships and community engagement
- Evidence of successful outreach activities
- Evidence of successful enrollment management activity
- Demonstrated ability to maximize use of internal and external resources