This instructor position is part of the education team located at the Wolf Creek Job Corps site 15 miles from Glide, OR. This position teaches Reading Language Arts across content areas. Reading Language Arts is aimed at the TABE, CASAS, Oregon Learning Standards (OACCRS), and GED classes. The Education team works closely with Job Corps counseling, residential, and vocational staff to implement Job Corps policies and ensure student success, Position works Monday- Friday, 215 days per year.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Teach courses in reading, literacy and reasoning. Teaching assignments will also include the GED reading, and computer skills instruction, as determined by the WCJC education team.
- Provide instruction or one-on-one tutoring to students, as necessary.
- Ensure TABE and CASAS assessment student performance meets the WCJC and ABS standards.
- Be familiar with all curriculums and augment with supplementary work.
- Participate in course outline and lesson plans development.
- Compile incoming student documents, track student progress and scheduling needs.
- Make sure students are enrolled in class and progress sheets are properly completed.
- Monitor students’ special needs such as Learning Needs Inventories, Individual Education Plans (IEP) and special accommodations.
- Maintain a cooperative, professional attitude with fellow staff members.
- Work with staff to ensure the development, implementation and monitoring of educational programming, OACCRS, and activities.
- Assist in committee assignments and other activities which contribute to the improvement and proper operation of the program.
- Comply with the requirements of the Umpqua Community College/Forest Service contract.
- Promote multi-cultural and diversity awareness and career success standards.
- Administer, interpret and incorporate the results from diagnostic of TABE and CASAS tests into your lesson plans.
- Know how to use formal and informal assessments to monitor learner progress.
- Responsible for effective classroom management; including handling of multi-level classrooms.
- Actively participate in training for the Oregon Adult College and Career Readiness Standards, including Orientation, Learning Circles, and Institutes.
- Implement the Oregon Adult Basic Skills Learning Standards in instructional lesson planning, design, and delivery.
- Document student progress, performance, and behaviors according to UCC and Job Corps standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by UCC or Wolf Creek Job Corps.
- Attend state and local training as related to the instruction of Adult Basic Skills.
- Understand how the intake, orientation, and registration of students take place.
- Prepare student evaluations and records for UCC reports.
- Prepare Job Corps student evaluations and submit to Job Corps within designated time frame.
- Participate in student progress review panels.
- Enforce Dress for Success clothing policy. ,,
- Participate in periodic fire and other safety related drills.
- Participate in staff training, meetings, and other professional activities which are I may be conducted on weekends or evening hours
- Leave classroom in proper order at the conclusion of class activities.
- Conducts self as representative of the college staff when participating in school-related functions
- Maintains current basic first aid and CPR card.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Bending and stooping frequently.
- Lifting/carrying 0- 30 pounds occasionally.
- Reaching, sitting, standing, and walking occurs in the job daily.
- Twisting body occurs regularly.
- Kneeling occurs rarely.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess good organization and leadership skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and through correct written grammar and usage
- Must have good classroom management skills.
- Must have strong desire to work with teens and young adults from a broad range of backgrounds and demonstrate the ability to relate to individuals from diverse social, economic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field, required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Teaching experience required; Reading Language Arts instruction experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Experience with contextualizing instruction preferred.
- Job Corps experience preferred.
- Experience in teaching in multiple basic skills areas (reading, writing and math) preferred.
- Experience or training using computers as an instructional tool preferred.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
For full consideration applicants must submit with their application:
1. A cover letter which addresses your interest in and how you meet the minimum qualification requirements for the position;
2. Current resume that includes educational and professional work experience;
3. A list of 3 professional references listing contact information including email address;
4. Copies of educational transcripts must be attached at the time of application submission, official transcripts are required upon hire.
Umpqua Community College Honors Veterans Preference
Applicants are eligible to use Veterans’ Preference when applying with Umpqua Community College in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Preference will be given only if the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application.
* Member Copy 4 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215)
* or …
* Letter from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension.
* Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of Veterans disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can request copies of your military service record through the National Archives website.
For information regarding Veterans’ Preference qualifications, visit www.oregonjobs.com.
If you wish to self-identify under Section 503 as an individual with a disability, please provide this information by completing Department of Labor Form CC-305 available at www.dol.gov.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
Umpqua Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This means that we will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard for race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, handicaps or veterans status. This policy affirms UCC’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all vestiges of discriminatory practices that might exist.
Employment with Umpqua Community College is contingent upon background check approval.
Umpqua Community College provides a comprehensive benefit package to fulltime, regular employees, including medical, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance, as well as vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and waived tuition.