Carlow University’s Education Department invites applicants for the Reading Specialist position to begin August 1, 2019. This is an 11-month non-tenure track Instructor position.
The primary instructional responsibilities of the position will be to teach or co-teach highly specialized reading, structured literacy, and language arts courses to undergraduate and graduate students in both Early Childhood and Curriculum and Instruction programs, supervise student practicum experiences in reading/language arts at The Carlow Laboratory Campus School and surrounding schools, coordinate International Dyslexia Association accreditation, write and direct grant projects in support of structured literacy and dyslexia support, establish and direct a reading clinic, and provide on-going teacher training and support in reading assessment and instruction at The Campus Laboratory School. The ideal candidate will have literacy coaching experience and experience creating and leading professional development. Candidates must possess at least a master’s degree in education with specialized coursework in literacy instruction, LETRS ® and DIEBELS ® training, and a minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Teach and co-teach highly specialized reading and language arts courses to undergraduate and graduate students in both Early Childhood and Curriculum and Instruction programs.
- Teach coursework in structured literacy and dyslexia in the graduate program.
- Support Chair in authoring Reading Specialist certification with approvals from Carlow University and PDE.
- Collect, disaggregate, and analyze key assessment data in the reading courses and program.
- Provide on-going training and support to Carlow University students and Carlow Campus School teachers in LETRS and DIEBELS training.
- Provide at least two professional development workshops per year to area educators/community members in structured literacy and dyslexia.
- Write and direct grant projects in support of structured literacy and dyslexia support.
- Establish and direct a reading clinic as part of the Carlow Campus School/University Reading Specialist Certification.
- Consult on individual students, as requested, in Carlow Campus School and draft educational intervention plans for instructional support.
- Supervise undergraduate student practicum experiences in reading/language arts at Carlow Campus School and surrounding schools.
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Education with specialized coursework in literacy instruction
- Five (5) years full-time teaching experience in PreK-6th grade.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Belief in the potential of all students and a commitment to inclusive practices.
- Orton-Gilingham Certification or Wilson Reading Certification (Level I)
- Diebels® Mentor (trainer) Certification preferred.
- LETRS® (Language Essential for Teachers of Reading and Spelling) facilitator preferred.
- Experience creating and leading professional development.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University’s resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.