The mission of the Alder Graduate School of Education is to create opportunity and cultivate success for every student by recruiting and educating excellent teachers and leaders who reflect our schools’ communities. At Alder we invest in and develop great teachers. The STEM Education Specialist will collaborate in building Alder’s educational program with P12 school partners, and in ensuring the realization of our vision: outstanding teachers and leaders change students’ lives and make the world a better and more just place
We are a small, entrepreneurial team looking for someone who enjoys working in a flexible environment which encourages creativity and autonomy. The STEM Education Specialist Faculty role is a dynamic, multi-part position and will support Alder regions in a variety of areas including the Bay Area, California’s Central Valley, Los Angeles, and Memphis, Tennessee.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Dean and working closely with the Alder GSE team to support the mission, vision and core values of Alder GSE, the essential responsibilities of the SPED Education Specialist include:
- Work closely with Dean and Alder Faculty to improve academic program through course review, faculty development, and evaluation of program inputs and achievements, specifically in their content area of expertise.
- Design and teach at least one Alder GSE course per term (in a three-term academic year) related to STEM education, teaching, and assessment.
- Serve as Course Lead as appropriate, guiding the work of adjunct faculty teaching the same section of the course taught by content specialist faculty.
- Lead programming for clinical program supervisors in STEM education.
- Design and lead seminar content as needed in all Alder regions in STEM education.
- Serve as program supervisor as appropriate in STEM education.
- Work closely as a member of the Alder Academic Team, accomplishing key responsibilities for program execution and improvement with P12 partners
- Work closely with Alder Academic Team to ensure successful work with university partners
- Articulate cohesive Alder academic program core and opportunities for contextual differentiation alongside myriad Alder stakeholders
- Work through the four primary learning forae: seminars, online courses, course intensives and mentor classrooms to ensure Alder realizes its mission and vision
- Find ways to bridge the partnership between P12 schools and the GSE to achieve the mission/vision
CULTURE OF SCHOLARSHIP
- Actively engage in research and contribution to field of teacher education
- Work in concert with national partners to advance field of teacher education by participating in local and national conferences and networks
COLLABORATION WITHIN ALDER GSE
- Collaborate with the Dean, Directors, and all Alder faculty to implement an effective program
- Assume leadership of institutional and academic initiatives as appropriate
- Collaborate in accreditation efforts including research, writing, and committee work
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Experience in teacher preparation in a higher education setting
- Experience coaching and developing P12 educators
- Experience directly managing a team of people
- Proven track record of working with diverse student populations
- Able to bring a powerful Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens to all work
- Ability to work in ambiguous, complex, and rapidly changing environments
- Excellent communication skills and experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders
- Ideally has published in education or related field
- Believes that education transforms lives and that every student deserves the opportunity to go to college
- Passion for graduate schools of education and their communities
- Enthusiasm for the role, Alder’s mission and vision
2) Minimum educational level:
- Doctoral degree, or in progress towards doctoral degree completed by June 2020 required
3) Experience required:
- 5 or more years of experience and success in related roles
- Alder GSE offers competitive salary and benefits
- We strive to promote a work-life balance – many teammates work remotely and have significant control over setting work calendar
- We offer generous medical and retirement benefits
- We provide tuition assistance and reimbursement to help faculty pursue research and advance their scholarship.
If you are interested, please submit your application here: