Specialized Faculty Position in Methods of Reading Instruction at the Florida State University
The teacher education programs in the School of Teacher Education at Florida State University invite applications for an instructional position at the rank of Teaching Faculty I. We seek a faculty colleague focused on preparing teachers to deliver effective reading instruction and intervention to all learners. The successful candidate will teach courses in the reading endorsement course sequence for the Elementary Education program leading to initial teacher certification. These courses focus on the science of reading, evidence-informed reading instruction, and supporting students who are learning English as a second languages (ESOL) and students with disabilities (SWD). Our goal is to prepare teaching professionals who not only use evidence-based practices to succeed in their classrooms but also seek to improve their schools, communities, academic disciplines, and their professions.
The College of Education and the School of Teacher Education strive to develop a deep understanding of, and respect for, diversity among students and colleagues.
- Teach undergraduate courses in the Reading endorsement course sequence, which includes teaching research- and evidence-based practices for both ESOL and SWD learners
- Coordinate the Reading Endorsement coursework across programs within the STE, including the Elementary Education and Special Education teacher certification programs and the ESOL endorsement program
- Prepare reports for the Florida Department of Education
- Provide service to PK-12 schools, the University, Department, College, and the profession
- Earned doctorate in Reading Education or a related field by August 2020
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Significant experience and leadership in teaching reading in K-6 educational settings
- Commitment to and experience with working with diverse student populations
- Experience teaching PK-6 students who experience difficulty acquiring reading skills, including ESOL and SWD learners
- Knowledge of and experience working in multi-tiered system of support or response to intervention models in PK-6 settings
- Experience mentoring pre-service and in-service teachers
- Successful teaching experience at the college or university
How to Apply:
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until November 1, 2019.
Applicants are required to complete FSU’s online application, providing all educational details and a curriculum vitae. Applicants should also include a letter of application, names of three references with contact information, and statement of teaching interests.
Transcripts, work samples (such as teaching artifacts), and three written letters of recommendation will be required of candidates selected for a campus interview.
Nicole Patton Terry
Equal Employment Opportunity:
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf